Thursday, February 21, 2013

Day 9

This morning started off with a short round of dress up. It's February, that's what it is. Without fail February makes me want to pull out my spring wardrobe. It's 24 degrees out with snow in the forecast but the extra sun light in the morning and evening (light until 5:45! what what!) makes me think it should be 65. Anyway, I spent 15 minutes trying on clothes appropriate for April and quickly returned to my senses.

Today:
Neon pink silk camp shirt 
black cropped trousers
black riding boots
gold belt
gold hoops
enormous lucite ring (pro tip: this is the ring everyone think is Alexis Bittar. It's H&M. I will never buy)
pearl bracelet with sparkly clasp

I bought the neon shirt this autumn at Old Navy and this is the first time I've worn it. It's great and I can see it coming into full wardrobe rotation. Part of the reason I can't get behind the whole: "if you haven't worn it in 6 months, toss it"mentality is that there are plenty of things I haven't worn in 6 months but will wear the snot out of in another 3. Sometimes things go unworn because I've gained or lost weight, sometimes they go unworn because I'm in an environment that calls for different clothes (see also my 2 suits) and sometimes because I'm just too darn lazy to pull the whole outfit together and cropped trousers with a man's shirt and ballet flats is easy and looks nice (see also this entire project). 

Personally, I follow the William Morris theory of clothing: have nothing that you do not know to be useful or believe to be beautiful. Does it pull? Is it unflattering? Out it goes! Are there holes in it? Gone! Too big, purchased while I felt not unlike Fudgie the Whale? Dunzo! I cull and toss with the ruthlessness of well, I don't know (here's where I want to make a comment about vikings or cossacks, that's because I have a wrong sense of humor, so I won't). 

One caveat: I am extremely preppy. I wear Pendleton trousers my grandmother during the Kennedy administration and a fisherman's sweater that my grandfather bought while Lord Mountbatten was still vacationing at Sligo. Clothes purchased my first year of college still hang in my closet and get worn. So, yeah, are there two pairs of trousers I bought last spring and and haven't worn? Yup. Sue me. They'll get worn, I'll be complemented on them and told how nice I look. It just may be in 2015. 

No comments: