Wednesday, November 14, 2007

Hey Ho

This weekend's festivities (ed: Flip, need to have another linking tutorial) have left me with a bit of a let down. A bit of a "morning after the night before" feeling, as it were.

I look at marriage much the way I view, oh I don't know, buying a house. It's something I want to do. Something of which I approve whole-heatedly. Something to which I look forward.
But right now?
At this stage in life?
It seems about as likely flying to the moon. It's out there in the nether world of my consciousness. Part of my yes, SOMEday, but certainly not TOday.

And yet, ever since the weekend, it's as though "If Love Were All" is my soundtrack:

If only...
Somebody splendid really needed me
Someone affectionate and dear
Cares would be ended if I knew that he
Wanted to have me near

I just.
Well.
It would be nice to have a buddy, a partner. Share the load. "For my yoke is easy and my burden is light" kind of thing.

I had dinner with a friend last night. He, S.J., is studying to be a Jesuit and thus, while he'll preside over numerous marriage ceremonies*, will never marry. As the conversation wound it's way towards the subject of marriage, I shared what I shared above. While I take a certain "everything in its time" view of things, and I'm certainly not gunning for a husband, I'm beginning to see the benefits of a partner in life.

Then S.J. shared a story of an old Jesuit. This Old Jesuit said that while he loved presiding over marriages, they always left him feeling a bit wistful. The bond, the union, what God has joined together etc etc.

It's quite nice, really.
Quite nice indeed.

--
*For Catholics at least, the couple marrying perform the sacrament. One does not marry a couple. The couple marries each other and the celebrant presides over their union.