Tuesday, May 22, 2007

Nothing Says Lovin'

Last night I baked a cake. A chocolate cake with whipped cream frosting and coconut and walnuts. I don’t particularly like cake, but I needed to do something, so I baked.

In between baking and icing and decorating I put up shelves: book shelves and a shelf to hold my shoes (which, according to my roommate, just fell out of the wall). I re-arranged my room and stacked my books.

My grandmother is dying and I don’t know what to do so I’m baking and decorating a rearranging and thinking about anything else but the fact that she is dying.

I feel a bit like Laura from High Fidelity, specifically the scene in which she leaves her father’s funeral to chase after her downwardly mobile hipster ex-boyfriend. She finds him hiding behind a bench and propositions him (can you proposition an ex-boyfriend?) saying, by way of explanation, that she needs to feel something different than what she’s feeling now and sex is as good as anything.

Would that I had a downwardly mobile hipster ex-boyfriend.

I don’t. So I bake and hang shelves poorly and drink another cup of coffee. I buy the shelves on credit, inducing feelings of guilt and despair as well as the incredibly satisfying pang of self-destructive behavior. Can you tell how well-adjusted I am? I used to self-sabotage by sleeping all day, missing work or class, starving myself, drinking too much, smoking cigarettes. Now I just charge $60 at the Container Store. That’s progress.

And I bake. ‘Cause cakes that taste of tears they say, are the best for eating.

1 comment:

Donna Boucher said...

You've come a long way.

I am so very sorry to hear about your grandmother.
It's good to say you are sad about it. That you are lost about it.
That you are bewildered and buying things and baking cake.

Death is crappy.

We know there is a good part, eventually.

But it still stinks.

I think you need to play Meatloaf today...

"You better stop right there!!!"

and

"And now I'm praying for the end of time..."

Are my two favorite parts of that song, by the way.

I think every young girl should listen to 'Paradise' to hear what young boys are really thinkin'...

Barely seventeen and barely dressed.

Man that is a good line, too.

Love to you, Ryan.

I will pray for you and your grandma.