Monday, July 30, 2007

Never lovers, ever friends

I wish you bluebirds in the Spring
To give your heart a song to sing


You can do this.
That’s what I told myself.
It’s what Margaretta told me.
It’s what my mom told me.

A few hours and it’s over.

“You don’t have to go.”
That’s what my mom said.

But, of course, I had to. How could I not?

And in July, a lemonade
To cool you in some leafy glade


I drove up from Boston slightly hungover, nauseous and, quite frankly, emotionally drained.
It’s been a tough 9 months. I wasn’t sure if I had it in me to get through it.
Gracefully, that is. I knew I could get through it by getting drunk and acting a fool.
I owe him more than that. I owe myself more than that.

…shelter from the storm
A cozy fire to keep you warm


We got to the church- a small wooden affair in the middle of a VT field.
The guest milled about outside and I went in and gave him a hug.

…bluebirds in the Spring
To give you heart a song to sing


His brother walked his grandmother down the aisle
Then the bridesmaid
Then he walked with his mother
His father trailed behind.

And then, I knew for sure.

My breaking heart and I agree
That you and I could never be


Because it’s true

But most of all, I wish you love.

1 comment:

Donna Boucher said...

Oh Ryan.

It sounds like you have had a hard time these last few months.
I'm thinking of you.

Dear God.
Bless Ryan.